Flora-Monroe Twp. Public Library was made possible by a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. It opened in 1918 and serves the town of Flora and Monroe Township. The library also provides service to the residents of Democrat Township by contract. Residents of unserved areas may pay an annual or quarterly non-resident fee, portions of which may be reimbursed by their township trustee. Carroll students in unserved areas can pay a $10.00 annual fee for library service.
The library is governed by a seven member volunteer board of trustees and employs a director, four adult staff, two student staff, a treasurer, and a custodian. The collection includes 30,000 books, over 500 videos and DVDs, 152 magazines and newspapers, compact discs, and books-on-tape and CD.
The library also provides a Dial-A-Story service, Fax machine, color copier, weekly pre-school story hour, computer and Internet classes, special programming for adults, and a summer reading program for adults, teens, and children. The library also partners with the local school in a variety of ways to support the literacy and educational goals of both institutions.
In 1996 a $1.8 million addition and renovation project was completed, allowing for growth and expanded services such as public access computers with Internet access. The addition provided handicapped accessible parking, entrance, and restrooms, and a program room which is available to community groups.
Visit the library’s web site for seasonal hours and current information.